Chinese New Year Look
Happy Chinese New Year Everyone! Here at Mented Cosmetics, we celebrate beauty in all forms as we believe everyone should see themselves in the world of beauty, no matter where they are from or their culture. With that being said, we couldn’t go through the month of February without creating a look that is perfect for anyone looking to celebrate the Chinese New Year, also known as the Lunar New Year!
The Chinese New Year marks the transition between the zodiac signs, and is a time to honor the ancestors and welcome in good luck and fortune for the year ahead. This year is the year of the Ox, which symbolizes hard work and honesty. Colors like red and gold are prominent during the Lunar New Year because they are considered auspicious: red is for good fortune and happiness, and gold is for wealth.
With that in mind, we are creating a soft golden look with a pop of color through a red lip. Let’s get into it!
- Following proper prep and prime, apply Skin by Mented Foundation starting on the center of the face and blend outward with your Foundation Brush for a seamless, finish. For any areas that require extra coverage apply an extra bit of foundation since the Skin by Mented foundation also serves as a concealer. For this look, our Skin by Mented Foundation in L10 was used.
- For a little under-eye highlight grab a Skin by Mented Foundation stick about two to three shades lighter than your foundation shade and place the highlight shade in the under-eye area, around the base of the nose, chin, and center of the forehead. All of the areas where the light will hit.
- Add in a little contour for some dimension to the face with our Skin by Mented Foundation stick about two shades darker than your foundation shade. Place the contour shade around the forehead and in the hollows of the cheeks, blending with our foundation brush. For this look, our Skin by Mented Foundation in T20 was used.
- Blend the highlight out and set with Skin Silk Setting Powder in your proper highlight shade.
- Grab the Mented powder brush and lightly set your face, with the Skin Silk Setting Powder, placing a particular focus on your areas that are prone to oil. For this look, our Skin Silk Setting Powder in Light/Tan was used.
- Set that contour with our Sunkissed Broner. Take a large fluffy brush and swirl it into the Sunkissed Bronzer, tapping off the excess. Apply the bronzer to the areas of the face the sun is likely to hit, the temples, cheeks and jawline adding warmth to the face while going over the areas the contour was applied earlier. For this look, our Sunkissed bronzer in Beach Bum was used.
- Now let’s add some golden tones to the look: Grab a denser more tightly packed brush and apply Peach for the Stars onto the apples of the cheeks making sure to tap the pigment into the skin. The shimmer in this blush is perfect for the gilded moments of the Chinese New Year.
- Lightly fill in your brows, only in the sparse areas, with the High Precision Brow Pencil in Brow Down making sure not to create an eyebrow that is too harsh. Make sure to mimic the hairs in your natural brows with hairlike strokes creating an imperceptible filled in brow.
The eyeshadow for this look is a simple, golden look giving the attention to the pop of red on the lip. Grab your Everynight Eyeshadow Palette and get to work!
- Start by apply Houston, a matte warm beige, all over the lid with a fluffy brush.
- Next, grab a more tapered fluffy brush dipped in Philly, a warm matte tan, and blend that into the crease of the eye.
- To darken up that shadow take a fluffy brush with Harlem, a matte chocolate brown a and place that on the edge of the Philly shadow, bringing it up and out toward the outer corner of the eye.
- Add a winged liner with an angled brush dipped into Harlem. Keep the shadow as close to the lash line as possible and wing out at the corner of the eye.
- To brighten up that inner corner of the eye, take a pencil brush dipped in Miami, a peachy gold shimmer, and place that in the inner corner of the eye. This goes perfectly with the peach shimmer of your Peach for the Stars blush.
- Take that same pencil brush and mix Harlem and Philly and bring it down on the outer corner of the lower lashline
- Lastly, apply mascara and on to the lips!
Finally, the star of the show! Red is a prominent color in the Chinese New Year, so we had to feature it here with a bold lip.
- Line your lips with Bare Liner, and fill in the color with our gorgeous matte red shade Red and Butter.
In this year of the Ox, go forth with this gorgeous look and reach your full potential. Sending you all the luck, prosperity, and good fortune your heart desires!