Lip liner is an essential beauty product, but one that doesn’t get the headlines it deserves. Lip gloss, on the other hand, seems to be more popular than ever, the common subject of beauty articles and fashion magazine spreads. We’re going to give lip liner the attention it is due, and go over how lip liner and lip gloss are a magical beauty pair. At Mented, we’re passionate about helping all women feel like their most beautiful selves - which is part of what inspired the start of our collection of makeup for women of color and the tutorials to help women use it. Read on to learn how to apply lip liner and gloss, and how combining lip liner and lip gloss creates a winning look.
Believe the Hype about Lip Liner
In case you aren’t already using lip liner almost daily, we’re going to convince you why this beauty product should be a part of your regular beauty routine. Using a lip liner accomplishes a few extremely important feats:
- The creamy, lightly-pigmented nature of a lip liner means it stays on for the long haul.
- Lip liners extend the longevity of any lip product you pair with it - lipstick or lip gloss.
- In building a barrier around your lips, lip liner prevents your lip gloss from feathering.
- Lip liners add another dimension of color to the lips.
- Lip liner creates an even lip outline for a polished look.
Pro-Tip: A lip liner that glides on smoothly and doesn’t skip will make application way easier. Mented makes easy-glide lip liners so your lips always look on point.
Lip Liner and Lip Gloss? But Isn’t Lip Gloss for Kids?
Okay, you’re right. Lip gloss might be the preferred makeup of middle school kids everywhere experimenting with makeup for the first time. Often, the products they use are gooey and just all-around too-much. However, Mented makes a lip gloss that we like to call lip gloss for adults. It is a refined formula that feels silky and looks shiny, without being overdone. Available in seven shades, from subtle nudes and pinks to deeper mauves and browns, our lip gloss for women of color will complement a variety of skin tones from light to tan to deep.
If you aren’t on the lip gloss bandwagon yet (or fell off since graduating high school), you may wonder - when do I wear lip gloss? The short answer is really anytime. You’ll see many women out on the town working a big-time glossy lip to look glamorous. However, lip gloss is also perfect for daytime when you want a touch of sheen on your pout for a beautiful, yet natural, look. Simply go with a formula, like Mented’s, that is buildable, so you can put on a single coat for a subtle office look, or layer it up to turn some heads.
Wearing Lip Liner and Lip Gloss Together
Lip gloss has a well-earned reputation for not staying on as well as lipstick. One tip for how to keep your lip gloss on all day is by first applying lip liner. The matte, low-moisture nature of the lip liner works as a primer for your lip gloss. Essentially, the gloss will adhere to your lips better because your lips aren’t as smooth, but have a more tactile surface for long lasting wear.
Try a nude lip liner color - as close to your natural lip color as possible - with any lip gloss. Alternatively, use a lip liner shade that is similar to your lip gloss shade, preferably a touch lighter. Now that your lip liner color is picked out, there are two ways you can apply it.
- Only line your lips with a lip liner. A coat or two of your gloss may conceal the lip liner line. If the line is noticeable, particularly if your lip liner is darker than your gloss, then gently blend the lip liner, using your finger, or preferably a lip brush. Just be sure to blend in towards your lips, rather than away.
- Outline your lip and then fill it in with the lip liner. This method is a sure-fire way to make your lip gloss last. Simply outline first and then carefully fill in your lips. A uniform lip color is a classic, whereby you fill in the entire lip with the lip pencil. You can also go for an ombre effect by filling the liner in opaquely at the outer portion of your lips and then decreasing to little or no color at the center portion of your lips. Again, you may need to smudge the pencil a bit with your finger or lip brush to blend and achieve an even coat of lip liner.
Once your liner is on, you’re ready for lip gloss application. Here’s how to apply lip gloss in a nutshell: a dab on the middle of your bottom lip, followed by a gentle lip smack, and voilà, you have a perfect sheen. For a more apparent gleam on your pout, swipe on a coat or two like you would a lipstick. You can use the doe-foot applicator that comes with your gloss.
The Perfect Pairing: Mented Lip Liner and Lip Gloss
Time to try it out for yourself. Next morning you wake up and want a different look for the day, combine a lip liner and lip gloss. If you need help finding the right product, Mented makes lip liner and lip gloss that go on easy, feel like butter and look divine on all skin tones. Find your perfect match and then follow these easy tips to get started on your newest beauty venture.